Monday, October 10, 2011

"As You Wish"

The Princess Bride

"A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather)."

I watched this movie shortly after Peter Falk died, and watched it again for my birthday yesterday.  What brought on wanting to see it again was a video I saw of the cast reuniting on Good Morning America.


"The Princess Bride" Reunited

As I was watching the movie this time, I couldn't help thinking of all the actors on it that passed away: Andre the Giant, and most recently Peter Falk.  Not a lot of people realized Peter Falk played the grandfather in it.  One thing I noticed different from the book that irritates me when I watch the movie is Montoya's first name.  In the book, he's Indigo.  In the movie, he's Inigo.  I know it's only a difference in one letter, but why couldn't Rob Reiner and the writers keep it the way it was?

My favorite scene in the movie: the Fire Swamp, of course.  I always jump when the ROUS (a big a$$ rat) starts going for Westley.

I give this movie 5 stars!

The Pelican Brief


"A law student uncovers a conspiracy, putting herself and others in danger."


This is another movie I own based on a John Grisham book.  It's about this Tulane law student (played by Julia Roberts) who writes a legal brief regarding the assassination of two Supreme Court justices.  She inadvertently unearths the truth, and ends up running for her life as anybody who knows about the brief drops dead around her.

I watched this movie tonight because I needed a dose of Denzel, and I haven't watched this movie in a while.  Every time he came on the scene though, I couldn't stop thinking about The Book of Eli.  I may have to watch that again soon, too.  He's awesome in it.

I give this movie 5 stars!


No Reservations


"The life of a top chef changes when she becomes the guardian of her young niece."


This movie has Catherine Zeta-Jones playing Kate, an executive chef at a restaurant whose world is turned upside down when her sister dies, leaving Kate custody of her niece Zoe (played by Abigail Breslin).  Things tend to come full circle for this thrown together little family unit when Aunt Kate starts dating a co-chef (played by Aaron Eckhart) in her restaurant.

I love watching the scenes with Kate in therapy sessions because she uses her therapist (played by Bob Balaban) as a guinea pig for her new cooking inventions.  She is forced to go to therapy by her boss that threatens to fire her if she doesn't have regular appointments due to anger management issues.

My favorite scene, though, has to be when a patron is complaining about his steak not being rare enough, so Kate finally gets fed up after the seventh one has been sent back and arrives at the table to stab a raw, uncooked steak in front of the man with a steak knife.  Kate's boss tells the man they'll get a new tablecloth for him right away, and Kate continues her rampage by pulling the knife from the table and taking off the tablecloth in one go without dropping any dishes.  The woman sitting with the man is holding her wine glass, and impressed by the tablecloth trick.  It's hilarious!

I give this movie 5 stars!


The Ghost Writer


"A ghostwriter hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy."


I don't like a lot of Pierce Brosnan movies, but I thought I'd give this one a try because Ewan McGregor is in it.  Ewan McGregor plays Ghost, a well-known ghost writer that's hired to proofread and enhance a former Prime Minister's memoirs by a New York publisher solely because he does great work, and he can work fast if he had to.  At first he's given a month to work on the manuscript and ready it for publication, but unforeseen circumstances bring up the release date so he only has two weeks to get the job done.

Me being an author myself, the title is what intrigued me the most.  I don't particularly like the ending, but everything leading up to it is pretty suspenseful.  I'm also intrigued that the character's name is just Ghost, and nothing like John Smith or something like that.

I give this movie 4 stars!


The Book of Eli


"A post-apocalyptic tale, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind."


After watching The Pelican Brief, I realized I needed a little more Denzel to satisfy my thirst and watching The Pelican Brief did make me think of this movie a lot.  When that happens, it's an inevitability that I'd watch it.  I can't seem to get enough of The Book of Eli because the movie is masterfully made.  Gary Oldman as Carnegie makes a great, albeit misguided villian, and Mila Kunis as Solara is awesome (She ends up kind of discipled by Eli during his quest.)  I think it's great that Eli possesses the last Bible in existence, and he doesn't really need it once Carnegie gets his hands on it.  He's been traveling with it for 30 years!  Reading it every night, he has it memorized word for word by the time it gets taken from him.  I love how when Eli is finished with his quest, Solara is just starting hers.

I give this movie 5 stars!


Little Fockers


"Family-patriarch Jack Byrnes wants to appoint a successor. Does his son-in-law, the "male nurse", Greg Focker have what it takes?"


I tend to like the first two movies in the Meet the Parents trilogy more than this one.  I do enjoy seeing Barbra Streisand, and Dustin Hoffman return as Roz and Bernie Focker.  The casting person made an excellent pairing with those two.  I like that they gave Roz her own sex talk show (that made me think a lot of Sex Talk with Sue Johanson).  Jack Byrnes is up to his old tricks again when he thinks Greg is cheating on his wife with pharmaceutical rep Andi Garcia (played by Jessica Alba).  I like how "Santa" Jack gets turned down when he calls into the CIA for help because the new guy is by the book, and Jack's been retired for way too long.  The new guy tells Jack to try Googling the information he wants which ends up opening a whole new world for Robert DeNiro's character.

I give this movie 3.5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment