Sunday, October 2, 2011

Now that I've had a break...

Runaway Jury


"In their first film together, screen legends Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman face off in this electrifying nail-biter about a ruthless jury consultant who'll do anything to win.  With lives and millions of dollars at stake, the fixer plays a deadly cat-and-mouse game with a jury member (John Cusack) and a mysterious woman (Rachel Weisz) who offer to 'deliver' the verdict to the highest bidder.  Packed with danger, intrigue and pulse-pounding twists and turns, Runaway Jury rules!"

This movie is based on a book by John Grisham of the same name.  The only difference I can tell between the book and movie is who's getting sued.  In the book, Gene Hackman's character worked for a tobacco company; whereas, in the movie it's a gun company.  I've had this movie in my collection for a long time, but never really got around to watching it until now.  The only reason I can recall anything of the book is because Nicholas Easter (played by Cusack) is to this very day one of my favorite John Grisham characters ever!  I just love the way he has everybody eating out of his hand while actually routing for the underdog the whole time.  John Grisham is a master storyteller!

I give this movie 5 stars!


Hereafter


"George (Matt Damon) is a blue-collar American with a special connection to the afterlife dating from his childhood.  French journalist Marie (Cecile de France) has a near-death experience that shakes her reality.  And when London schoolboy Marcus (Frankie and George McLaren) loses the person closest to him, he desperately needs answers.  Each seeking the truth, their lives will intersect, forever changed by what they believe might-or must-exist in the hereafter."

One of my favorite actors growing up is now one of my favorite directors: Clint Eastwood!  I just love watching his vision unfold before my eyes.  He kicked butt with Invictus and Gran Torino, and has done it again with Hereafter.  More than once while watching the movie, I wanted to smack George's brother upside the head for his behavior and set him straight.  He spends the whole Matt Damon parts of the movie, trying to get George to resume his professional psychic readings while George just wants to be left alone.  I just love it when George brother shells out money for an office space thinking he's finally convinced his brother to see his side, and George is nowhere to be found opening day because he's taken off for London where he meets Marie and Marcus finally.

I give this movie 5 stars!

That's all I have for now.  More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment