Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Reliving my Childhood

Because my childhood was spent reading fairy tales, watching cartoons, watching old Batman reruns with Adam West, and playing with my brother's GI Joe's.  This is a trip down memory lane for me.

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie

Three lazy misfits - very timid Elliot (Larry the Cucumber), lazy Sedgewick (Mr. Lunt) and no self-confident George (Pa Grape) - dream of the day of putting on a show about pirates. With their own problems of might not having this dream come true, they soon find themselves traveling back in time into the 17th century and begin a quest to rescue a royal family from an evil tyrant, and learn about being pirates.

Even though I'm a full-grown adult, I love watching VeggieTales.  VeggieTales is simply Sunday morning values mixed with Saturday morning cartoons.  They are vegetables that tell Bible stories, and teach kids how to be thankful, obey their parents, and learn to love God.

"The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" first appeared in Big Idea's (VeggieTales production company) first full-length movie called Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie where they told a kid the story of Jonah in the Bible, so the kid would learn to show compassion and have mercy toward their friend they've been with.  There was such a response that they decided to make their next movie project about the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, and give a background story to the lovable characters.

I give this movie 5 stars!

My brother and I borrowed the movies Cinderella and The Princess Protection Program from his friend. This version of Cinderella is the Disney cartoon from way back when.  I hadn't seen it in a long time, so that's why I asked to borrow it.

Cinderella

When Cinderella's cruel stepmother prevents her from attending the Royal Ball, she gets some unexpected help from the lovable mice Gus and Jaq, and from her Fairy Godmother.

I had no idea this movie came out in 1950.  It was around thirty years before I was born!  That doesn't seem possible.

By now it should be apparent that Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale (with Snow White coming in a close second.)  I own a total of seven Cinderella-related movies, but I never found the original Disney version I saw once upon a time that helped me fall in love with fairy tales!  I actually have eight Cinderella-related movies if you count Enchanted (which combines a bunch of different fairy tales into a movie; one of which is Cinderella).

I give this movie 5 stars!

Princess Protection Program

When a tiny country is invaded by a dictator, a young Princess (later known as Rosie) is taken into custody by the Princess Protection Program. She is whisked away to rural Louisiana where she must learn the ins and outs of behaving like a normal American teenager. In the process of adapting to her new life, Rosie gives her new friend and roommate, Carter, a few lessons in how to act with royal aplomb.

This movie stars Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez as Princess Rossalinda and Carter.  It's a good movie for teens and the younger generation.  I like Selena Gomez as an actress, but I can't stand Demi Lovato.  They are both Disney Channel alums, and that's not always in someone's favor.

I give this movie 2 stars!

The Dark Knight

Batman, Gordon and Harvey Dent are forced to deal with the chaos unleashed by a terrorist mastermind known only as the Joker, as he drives each of them to their limits.

It's sad to watch this movie sometimes thinking that it's pretty much the role that killed Heath Ledger (The Joker).  He was on sleeping meds and having several problems because he went to a dark place for the Joker, and was having nightmares while making The Dark Knight.  I'm also saddened by Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Harvey "Two-Face" Dent.  How he goes from being one of the good guys to being manipulated by the Joker and inevitably turned into a villian.  Rachel Dawes would not have liked what he became after she died.

Out of all the different actors they've had to dawn the suit, Christian Bale is by far my favorite Bruce Wayne.  I'm glad to see him continue his role as Batman whenever I see a new one come out.

I give this movie 4 stars!

G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

An elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, operating out of The Pit, takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer.

I have always had a thing for men in uniform, and I still do.  I was a major tomboy growing up, and loved to play with my brother's G. I. Joe's, toy cars, and other action figures.  I was also found a lot of the time sitting next to my brother when the cartoon was on television.

The same can be said for Transformers also hence my watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon lately, and blogging about it.  My favorite has always been Optimus Prime, but in regards to G. I. Joe my favorite character was played by Channing Tatum (Duke Hauser).  I also thought Marlon Wayans played an excellent Ripcord.

I give this movie 5 stars!

Be on the lookout for G. I. Joe 2: Retaliation and The Dark Knight Rises in theaters 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment